This assignment can be a nice way of practicing “good research.” Students are required to look critically at the research and presentation of a documentary, and will hopefully incorporate those lessons into their own research writing.
THE COVE — CRITICAL REVIEW
To provide a critical review of the documentary, “The Cove.’
Watch the film, “The Cove.’ If you miss the screening in class, you can check out the DVD from the library, or stream it from Netflix (if you have a subscription). Write a critical review that addresses the following issues:
- Evaluate what kind of evidence the filmmakers decide to include in the film. Are they leaving anything out?
- Consider the style of the film. A reviewer at the New York Times described this film as “Trojan horse.’ What do you think he might have meant?
- Think about the potential Japanese response to this film. Can you imagine what they objections might be?
– Approximate length = 500 words.
– Posted to blog no later than 11:59 PM on Tuesday (3/8/11).
LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW IF YOU USED THIS PROMPT IN YOUR CLASS. HOW DID IT GO? WOULD YOU DO IT AGAIN? DID YOU MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS?