Assignment: Write a 1-2 page typed response to the following questions
Purpose: To help you expand your Essay 2 paper by looking into a specific topic that relates to your theme combining the two texts we have read in this class.
Step #1: Choose a theme and a question that intrigues you and relates to the two texts. Consider the following questions: What do you know about this theme? What don’t you know about it? What about the theme keeps you wanting to know more? (No formal writing required for this step.)
Step #2: Now, write 1-2 paragraphs in narrative form about your previous experience with the topic that you have chosen. Be descriptive and specific. Tell the story of yoru: experience, paying particular attention to your stake in the issue. That is, what motivates you to explore this theme?
Step #3: Next, write 1-2 paragraphs describing how you believe this theme is commonly understood by a lay audience? Further, how have you understood the issue? What are your initial assumptions about it?
Step #4: Finally, write a paragraph proposing your theme for use in your Essay 2 paper. Be sure to answer the following questions:
- What is the theme you are proposing to explore?
- How will you narrow your topic in relation to this theme?
- What specific question are you asking about your theme? Why do you believe that this is a good question to ask? Why do you believe that it will be a manageable question for you to research?
- What kinds of sources do you intend to begin seeking in order to answer your question?
Tips for Success:
1. Keep in mind that you will be most successful if you choose a theme that you have an authentic question about. If you already have a set opinion, you won’t be open to researching and finding out new information. So, choose something that you really want to learn more about, not something about which you already hold a firm belief.
2. Also keep in mind that you will be most successful if you choose a theme with an appropriate scope. In other words, a topic/theme that is too narrow instead of too general or broad.
LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW IF YOU USED THIS PROMPT IN YOUR CLASSROOM. HOW DID IT GO? WOULD YOU DO IT AGAIN? DID YOU MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS?